This Page

has been moved to new address

{Guest Post} with Funky Vintage Kitchen

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
allora handmade blog: {Guest Post} with Funky Vintage Kitchen

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

{Guest Post} with Funky Vintage Kitchen

help me welcome April from Funky Vintage Kitchen:

on things of fashion....{because when I asked Twitter what I should guest blog about...that is what they said}
I am always complimented on my fashion sense. People say that they want to borrow my closet. I don't think it's that great, but I appreciate the compliments. Trust me, I covet other peoples' closets too. I know I like cute clothes, but I am not a fashion forward thinking person. There are many out there way more savvy with fashion sense than me. {Like yours truly, Miss Jessica!} But what I have figured out, is what looks best on me and what I am most confident wearing. I also do love clothes, style, color and texture. And, I love shopping. I also love the way a great outfit makes me feel. I tend to cautiously watch the new trends and embrace the ones that I know will work on my figure. Here are my top 10 tricks...in case your interested!

1. I used to shop for the sake of shopping. Now I shop very intentionally. I would rather a small collection of clothing that I feel great in than a closet full of clothing that is just so-so. I always say the item I am purchasing {whether clothes or home accessories} must make my tummy tingle!

2. Just because it is on sale or cheap doesn't mean you have to buy it. It will only fill your closet with ill-fitting, 'so-so', items. I would rather shop in stores that I know will fit my budget and buy an item based on fit, color and quality rather than price. Plus if you add up what you spent on all the 'so-so' sale items you could probably have purchased a few quality pieces.

3. When I find an item that is a great fit, compliments my body shape {I'm a pear}, and I absolutely LOVE it, I almost always buy two of that item. Either two different color schemes or two of the exact same items. Chances are if it fits and looks great, I'm going to wear the heck out of it and wish I had another one in case something happens to it or just to rotate in my closet. But I don't do this with every item. Most common 'two-fer' items for me....sweaters, jeans and running shoes.

4. I tend to pay more money for jeans and shoes. I have found that these are items that I wear the same of daily. The same jeans for three days, the same comfortable shoes/boots most days, so quality outweighs cheap. I once bought a pair of J. Crew ballet flats that were just over $100. I almost died buying them, but the first time I slipped them on I knew they were NOT going to give me a single blister. I am still wearing those flats....4 years later! They are silver and go with almost everything. And instead of owning ballet flats in every color, I only own a few quality pair. Summer sandals....never pay too much money for....chances are with bare feet and water activities, they are only going to last that summer.

5. On trendier pieces I usually shop the Brass Plum section of Nordstrom or Forever 21. A few more of my all-time favorite stores.....Anthropologie, Target, Marshalls and TBD sale racks at Nordstrom. If we had a Nordstrom Rack close by, I think I'd be scouring their racks often. And Marshalls over Ross any day of the week! I am not a store snob. Some of my favorite heels have been purchased at Payless Shoe Source.

6. I watch items online, especially at Anthropologie, for when they go on sale. I have learned that online purchases are always risky, so I make sure the store has a great return policy. Again, you can't go wrong with Nordstrom, Anthro or Zappos. I know that A-line tops and skirts look best on my figure, but not worn at the same time! So when shopping online, I always keep my body shape in mind not how it looks on the model. And, if it doesn't fit great when I receive it, I package it right back up so that I am not tempted to keep it 'just because'.

7. Wearing the RIGHT size clothing always makes you look thinner than wearing a size that is too small. Who cares what number is on the tag. Cut if off once home if it bothers you!

8. I like to accessorize with one great piece, maybe two. Like a great ring, or a single statement necklace. When I go for two I usually pair up a pair of earrings with a ring. I wish I could layer my accessories, but I'm just not confident in doing so and my feeling is....confidence is everything in style. I'd love to take a class or lesson on accessorizing or just go shopping with someone who is amazing at doing it. But tip number 8 is wear it confidently!

9. Fashion sense spills over into my home decor. Before purchasing it, I must have a place for it, it must be the right color and must make my tummy tingle. Staying true to who you are makes you most pleased always with your purchases!

10. Save money for a girls weekend shopping trip and then pair up with someone who is willing to promise to be honest with you about what looks good and what doesn't! Get over your modesty issues that weekend and share a large dressing room. It is the best way to shop for clothing!
Here are a few of my favorite pieces right now....that already are or soon to be 'two-fers'!
1. Jolt Jeggings from Nordstroms.
{Only $39 and fit more like jeans than leggings.}
2. Pink Studio Geneva Ballet Flats.
{These were just marked down....I'm getting another pair in a different color.
These are so darling and so unique.}
3. Trouve Cardigan Sweater from Nordstroms.
{I have this in grey...now that it is marked down I'm buying it in brown.}
4. Yellow Peasant Blouse from Anthropologie.
{I purchased this with a gift card and am waiting patiently for it to be marked
down to purchase it in white also.}
I'd like to thank Jess for stressing me out with the guest post. Just kidding, no really it did. But not kidding about thanking Jess for this opportunity. You have a fabulous blog and you are pretty fabulous yourself!

I'd love to hear from you! What some of your fashion tricks/tips and favorite stores? Ready, set....GO!

P.S. I'm a total jegger, with the right top of course because I'm a pear!

thanks for sharing your fashion tips April.  you know i love jeggers. visit fvk for more fashion and all kinds of fun!

post signature

Labels:

3 Comments:

At February 23, 2011 at 10:28 PM , Blogger Mills said...

I absolutely adore Funky Vintage Kitchen and April! love the fashion tips, you always look fabulous.

 
At February 24, 2011 at 6:27 AM , Blogger LittleGreenThread said...

Great tips, April! I always cut the tag out of my pants :) Then I can just imagine they are whatever size I want them to be!

 
At February 27, 2011 at 6:28 AM , Blogger Heidi said...

I just bought a few things off April's Blog Sale and she has wonderful taste! {& happens to me just my size :)} Great tips! Thanks April!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home