This Page

has been moved to new address

guest post: on my heart

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
allora handmade blog: guest post: on my heart

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

guest post: on my heart

Hi. My name is Alison, from the blog and shop aPearantly Sew. First, I want to say a big thank you to Jess for allowing me to guest blog today. This is my first guest post ever, and I have to tell you, I had a hard time deciding what to write about. I asked my husband the other evening, “what in the world am I gonna write this post about?!”. His response, “just write about whatever is on your heart”.
As a wife and mother, this is what’s always on my heart…


My children. My family. My loves. I didn’t always plan on being a stay at home mom. When my husband and I got married I was in Nursing school, and that was my plan. But then these two little boys came into our lives and my priorities shifted. I longed to be with them, to experience their childhood, to see their first steps, to hear their first words. They were my heart. I would like to say that becoming a stay at home was easy, that every day was bliss. But, for me, it was a very difficult transition. I felt lonely, isolated, frumpy, tired…you get the picture. Many of you have been there (at least I hope you have and that I’m not alone). But over time, we developed a routine. We got out more. We joined a playgroup, and through it formed the best of friendships and gained a support system. But I have to be honest, I still felt like a part of “me” was missing, was gone. It’s so easy to get wrapped up in your children and taking care of the home that you let yourself slip away. I was desperate for a creative outlet, a place where I could express…me. I guess that’s how my blog and shop ultimately came to be. My mom taught my good friend Melissa and I to sew. Well, she taught us how to hem curtains. But we were both hooked! I borrowed my mother’s sewing machine and practiced and practiced and practiced. I love sewing. I love creating beautiful things that are a reflection of who I am. I love having an outlet to be creative, an outlet that in the end, allows me to be a better wife and mother. I love this journey that I am on. Don’t get me wrong, we still have rough days. Lots of them. But this is life.
There is a line from a Sandra McCracken song that so perfectly sums up how I feel about life…
“It’s not what we expected. It’s not what we had planned. But maybe it is better than we can understand…”

So, new friends of mine, here’s to having a life that’s better than anything you could have ever planned.


thank you Alison!!
post signature

2 Comments:

At January 26, 2011 at 8:20 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

this gave me chills! beautifully written. i am hoping to be a stay-at-home mom one day too. but i know i will need my creative outlets to stay sane :) sounds like you are an awesome momma!

 
At February 1, 2011 at 6:02 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

i just saw this post.
lovely.
i love it when you wear your heart on your sleeve...you are beautiful and i love having you and your sweet family in my life.

xo

 

Post a Comment

<< Home